In hiring new team members, one of the things you need to look for is: can they be coached?
Coaching will bring out the best in your team. Your investment in this time will bring you rewards you cannot imagine.
Some of the first lessons I coach are about time and focus.
- You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. (If you are not spending time with people that want to be successful, you will be carrying an anchor.)
- 15 minutes early is on time, on time is late and late is unacceptable. (This reminds team members that time is valuable: yours and mine. Additionally, it always take a few minutes to get your head in the game and transition from what you were last doing.)
- First seek to understand then be understood. (Ask questions. If you are the only one talking you are not learning or gaining clarity.)
- Carry a journal with you at all times. You never know when someone is going to say something that is valuable. Write it down. Take notes.
- Give more than expected and someday you will receive more than you deserve. (People recognized when you are doing more than required, even when no one says anything.)
This is a start. While it might seem like most of these should already be understood, you will be surprised how many people need to hear this.
Set up a coaching schedule in your office. Concentrate on the strengths that your team member already has and work to maximize them. The rewards will be astonishing.
For more information, contact me at, firstname.lastname@example.org
Creating a buzz……¯`•.¸¸.ஐ